Tweak-Fi

"If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad.
If it sounds good and measures bad, you've measured the wrong thing."

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Sticky: Statement of Purpose

Amine Slimani
Site Owner

As suggested by a member, I have just added a draft of Declaration of Purpose for this website. If you have any comments, additions or suggestions, I would appreciate the opinions.

Below is a copy of the draft I just posted:

Tweak-Fi is intended to be a place where people candiscuss freely and without annoyance about their audiophile hobby.  

Below are some general guidelines that the members ofthis site have to follow:

1. The purpose of this website is to enhance, by any meanspossible, the listening experience of the members.

It is often forgotten that the main goal of this hobbyis not some flat frequency response measurement or a result of a DBT study butrather the pleasure we get from listening.

2. “Thread crapping” will be banned: For those whodon’t know, thread crapping occurs when a person comes into a thread and postssomething contrary to the spirit/intent of the thread, often derailing thediscussion or turning it into an argument.

This doesn’t prevent people from having differentopinions but the repeated and systematic interruption of the flow ofdiscussions and the general spirit of this website will lead to instant ban.

3. Promoting any piece of equipment that you do nothave a personal experience of will lead to a ban.

4. Manufacturers & Audio professionals are allowed,like anybody else, to post in the forum section of Tweak-Fi provided theirsignature (and profile) shows clearly who they are so that people can take thenecessary precautions evaluating their comments. I believe that some “Pros” area wealth of information in their personal areas of expertise and that such asource shouldn’t be discarded.

I trust that the average reader of this website willknow how to take the comments of the Pros into perspective.

“Pros” can talk about their products when asked aboutit. Otherwise, they should keep their comments about generalities. Anynon-ethical behaviour will lead to a ban.

These guidelines are here to give a betterunderstanding of the spirit of this website. Many people (including me) havefled other forums because discussions over there have become very difficult todeal with. There is usually a very low signal-to-noise-ratio when reading aboutthreads.

This website is intended to give an alternative byoffering a more serene and freer environment than other forums. Paradoxically,to allow that “free” flow of discussions, it is necessary to set some groundrules that will prevent a portion of (unwanted) people from posting andsystematically derailing threads.

This is the first version of the Declaration of Purpose. If any member has acommentary about it or want me to add an amendment, don’t hesitate.     

October 14, 2010 at 6:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

rosgr63

We should respect a person's opinion and findings, based on his system and tests, but should not accept abuse, foul language or acidic/nasty comments.

Humor is most welcome and essential!

--

There are few pleasures as simple, and wonderful as music - Craig Uthus

October 15, 2010 at 2:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Amine Slimani
Site Owner

rosgr63 at October 15, 2010 at 2:29 AM

We should respect a person's opinion and findings, based on his system and tests, but should not accept abuse, foul language or acidic/nasty comments.

Humor is most welcome and essential!

Thanks - I just added it to the Declaration of Purpose. It is indeed true that we don't listen the same way and we do have different expectations from our listening systems. Respecting other people's opinion is very important so that everyone feels safe to post about their findings.

October 15, 2010 at 4:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alota

i have a lot of humor

no problem

aldo

--

Akg K1000(apuresound)

Balanced Beta-22

Sicilian Blood,Portuguese Heart

October 15, 2010 at 11:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

rosgr63

Yes Aldo and we definitely need humor to make it through the rough times!

--

October 15, 2010 at 1:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

deep sounds

At last a forum set up to be inclusive of all EXCEPT threadcrappers.

Banning threadcrappers will also negate those who band together in little negative cliques (they communicate via pms) who sometimes visciously attack all those who do not toe their party line - all valve/tube gear good, all s/s gear bad and of course the reverse. They attack anything that they (as a clique) don't believe in.

It's strange the way those who advocate scientific answers always use the word 'belief' - what the hell has belief got to do with a scientific approach - quite irrational.

Very often science does provide the answers but not always and those who can never be wrong are at least half dead at least from the neck up.

I feel by setting out this Declaration of Intent, Slim will help to create a forum which first introduced me to the world of real hi-fi. It was wonderful to log in and wonder what new tweak or idea someone would present to the forum. very often someone would be in need of a particular cap or resistor and it would be offered for free.

Sometimes a member would have laid out serious money for something that turned out to be rubbish and far from trying to sell it on would offer it as a fishing weight for free.

Eventually nearly all the positive sharing members  departed, leaving only the negative ones to their mutual backslapping, so effectively that forum is dead, since negativity generates only more negativity.

Perhaps it is possible to have a 'jokes' section though Slim might have to  moderate if he feels it isa becoming to saucy or maybe he will through this idea in the ring for discussion?

Humour is always important and I feel that it does'nt always have to be audio related but that is up to Slim to decide.

October 16, 2010 at 9:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

deep sounds

Error and I've only started sipping my first glass of wine - should read throw this idea not through.

October 16, 2010 at 9:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Amine Slimani
Site Owner

deep sounds,

You have pretty much summed up what I want the forum section to be as well as added a few ideas that I will try to add asap. Indeed :

1. This forum is for sharing and enhancing our listening experience: thread crapping as well as excessive negativism won't be tolerated.

2. Respecting people's opinions and listening experience is extremely important. Personal attacks won't be tolerated.

3. This site should allow experienced members to talk freely about their gear, tweaks, DIY projects...

But meanwhile, the site should be open-minded so that beginners can also post their impressions even if they are different from "more experienced" members. Everybody's opinion is valued at tweak-fi.com and bullying of "less experienced" members will lead to a ban.

4. It is ok to have personal preferences, but attacking people just because they have different preferences (e.g. solid state vs. tube) will not be tolerated and will lead to a ban.

Given what has been suggested so far, I will add 2 sections to the Forums:

- A "Fun" section: jokes, non hifi related discussions

- A DIY section: Members can share their DIY experiments. DIY guides can be published either in English or in French. In case they are in French, I volunteer to do the translation.

If other people wish to publish in another language, they have to find a member that volunteer to do the translation for them.

As usual, I am open for suggestions and corrections as long as they fall in line with the general spirit of this website.

October 16, 2010 at 10:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kboe

A bit of a revive here, but I would just like to add my support for debate and discussion, as long as the debate and communication is open and intellectually honest, it should never be trampled upon.  

--

Happy Tunes,

Kevin

A shared passion for music is a simple way to appreciate the commonality which binds us together as people. That's why the negativity expressed in audiophile forums at times is so grotesque. - Srajan Ebaen

February 3, 2011 at 7:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

rosgr63

We like healthy debate, and respect people's experiences and opinions.

--

February 4, 2011 at 7:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kboe

To be open to new things is all the fun in this hobby.  Don't get me wrong, listening to my music gives me immense joy and satisfaction, but its the discovery that "oh my interconnects can get better", or "wow what a difference that DAC made" is what keeps things interesting and flowing.  To close off ones mind to new possibilities and directions of understanding is to be... well... dead inside.

--

Happy Tunes,

Kevin

A shared passion for music is a simple way to appreciate the commonality which binds us together as people. That's why the negativity expressed in audiophile forums at times is so grotesque. - Srajan Ebaen

February 4, 2011 at 7:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.